While the holidays are a fun and festive time for us humans, they can pose certain hazards for our pets. One of the most common health issues that pets face at this time of year is poisoning due to the ingestion of some of our favorite holiday treats. Here is a guide on foods to keep away from your pet during your holiday celebrations.

It may seem obvious, but chocolate is one of the most common toxic foods that poisons pets. Make sure that chocolate stays out of reach for pet’s especially if they are able to get on counter tops.

Alcohol is often present at holiday celebrations, so it’s important to not leave any open containers out where curious pets might be able to get into them.

Many holiday meat dishes include bones, and while it may be seem like a tasty treat for your pet, bones can splinter and cause serious damage to your pet’s esophagus or stomach. Never give your pets cooked bones to chew on.

Onions and Garlic
Onions and garlic are common in many holiday foods, but they can cause digestive issues in pets. Avoid giving your pet’s foods that contain these ingredients, and make sure they stay away from places where pets may be tempted to nibble on them.

Like some people who are lactose intolerant, many pets lack the requisite amount of lactase to digest dairy products. This often results in upset stomachs and digestive issues.

Salt and Fat
An excess of salty foods can cause dehydration and cause your pets to have to urinate frequently. While fatty foods are delicious, they can cause pancreatitis and other digestive problems.

Grapes and Raisins
While some pets may tolerate small amounts of grapes or raisins, they can cause kidney failure and are best avoided if you want to give your pet a snack.

Yeast Dough
Baking bread is a fun holiday activity, but make sure you keep your pets away from the yeast dough. It can cause bloating and discomfort, and can even lead to the loss of motor function.